Develop a proposal in which you evaluate the two specific products you selected in Week 4. Your goal is to persuade the directors of the health care workplace to implement your chosen informatics solution
Address the following details:
- Brief description of the administrative or clinical issue. I have choosen to implement EHR software w/ CDS to decrease risk of CAUTI.
- Concise overview of the two products, including an evaluation of all relevant features of each product. Two I picked were CPRS & Epic EHR.
- Select one (not both) product for implementation and provide a clear explanation about why.
- Two suggestions of how the chosen product could be implemented
- Two suggestions for how the chosen product would be evaluated after implementation
- Identify a future trend in this area
Develop a presentation using: PowerPoint (7-10 slides with detailed speaker notes)
Include a minimum of five peer-reviewed references and speakers notes.
Format your proposal and reference page according to APA guidelines.
Expert Solution Preview
In this proposal, we will be evaluating and comparing two electronic health record (EHR) software products, CPRS and Epic EHR, to determine their effectiveness in decreasing the risk of catheter-associated urinary tract infection (CAUTI). The goal is to persuade the directors of a healthcare workplace to implement the chosen informatics solution for this administrative or clinical issue.
1. Brief description of the administrative or clinical issue:
Catheter-associated urinary tract infections are a common issue in healthcare facilities and can lead to serious complications and extended hospital stays for patients. The use of EHR software with clinical decision support (CDS) has been shown to decrease the risk of CAUTI and improve patient outcomes.
2. Concise overview of the two products:
CPRS, or the Computerized Patient Record System, is an EHR software used by the Veterans Health Administration. It is designed to improve care coordination, clinical workflow, and patient safety. Epic EHR is an integrated EHR software used by healthcare systems across the United States. It offers features such as decision support and medication management.
When evaluating these two products for use in decreasing the risk of CAUTI, both offer CDS features, but Epic EHR has a more comprehensive medication management system.
3. Select one product for implementation and provide a clear explanation about why:
After careful evaluation, we recommend the implementation of Epic EHR in healthcare facilities to decrease the risk of CAUTI. Its advanced medication management system has the potential to greatly reduce the risk of medication-related CAUTI, which is a common cause of infections in healthcare facilities.
4. Two suggestions of how the chosen product could be implemented:
a. Educating healthcare staff on the importance of proper medication management and the use of Epic EHR’s features to reduce the risk of CAUTI.
b. Integrating Epic EHR into daily clinical workflow to ensure that staff are using the software to its fullest potential.
5. Two suggestions for how the chosen product would be evaluated after implementation:
a. Continuously monitoring CAUTI rates and comparing them to pre-implementation rates.
b. Conducting surveys with healthcare staff to determine their satisfaction with Epic EHR’s features and evaluate how often they are using them to decrease the risk of CAUTI.
6. Identify a future trend in this area:
A future trend in this area is the increased use of artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning in EHR software. This technology has the potential to further improve medication management and reduce the risk of CAUTI by predicting which patients are at the highest risk of developing an infection and alerting healthcare staff to take preventative measures.
In conclusion, Epic EHR is the recommended EHR software for implementation in healthcare facilities to decrease the risk of CAUTI. Its advanced medication management system has the potential to greatly reduce the risk of medication-related CAUTI and improve patient outcomes. Continued evaluation and the integration of future trends such as AI and machine learning will further improve patient care and outcomes in this area.